MANILA, Philippines – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is a dramatic black comedy that tells the story of a mother (Frances McDormand) who rents 3 billboards to call attention to and seek justice for her daughter's unsolved murder. It might not be your typical date movie, but it would definitely impress anyone who would care to see it. Still not convinced? It's a must-see, and here's why:
1. It's a multi-awarded, Oscar-nominated film.
2. Frances McDormand like you've never seen her before.
3. Black comedy seems to be director and screenwriter Martin McDonagh's specialty.
4. Sam Rockwell doing what he does best.
5. Woody Harrelson plays someone endearing for a change, and completely pulls it off.
After seeing Woody as the menacing colonel in War for the Planet of the Apes, in the title role in The People vs Larry Flynt, and as Mickey Knox in Natural Born Killers, it's been rather difficult to imagine him as a sweetheart. In Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, however, he's a doting father and loving husband while playing a man of power – the town's police chief.
6. Tyrion goes on a date but gets his heart broken.
Game of Thrones fan or not, you'll be smitten with and thoroughly amused by Peter Dinklage's character in this film. The actor, widely known for his Emmy Award-winning role as Tyrion Lannister in GOT, shows his sensitive side opposite a very lucky lady.
7. This film is relatable, reflecting harsh realities that many would be able to relate to, regardless of who and where they are.
Although the story is set in a sleepy town in Missouri, the issues there are similar to the problems we encounter as parents, couples, children, and even Filipinos. It's a bleak yet quirky depiction of the many facets of the society we live in.
Presented by 20th Century Fox, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri opens February 14 in select cinemas. – Rappler.com