MANILA, Philippines – Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago has left the hospital after a week-long confinement, her office said on Wednesday, June 8.
Santiago’s office tweeted that the senator was discharged from the Makati Medical Center on Tuesday afternoon, June 7.
[STAFF] @senmiriam has been discharged from the Makati Medical Center late afternoon yesterday. She thanks everyone for their well wishes. — Miriam Santiago (@senmiriam) June 8, 2016
Santiago, who has lung cancer, was rushed to the intensive care unit of the Makati hospital on May 31. Her husband, Narciso Santiago Jr, said then that she was "sick and suffered complication." Two days later, she was out of intensive care and moved to a regular room.
Santiago was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in 2014, but later said she had been cured as she prepared her presidential bid. When she informed the Senate leadership that she would continue to be on leave for cancer on May 24, she revealed she was suffering from anorexia (inability to eat), a side-effect of her medication.
The senator launched a third bid for the presidency in the recent elections, running alongside Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr. – Rappler.com