Rouhani heads to U.N. in bid to win Iran support against 'cruel' U.S.

President Hassan Rouhani says his delegation is heading to the UN gathering despite reluctance from President Donald Trump's administration to issue them visas

Agence France-Presse

Published: 8:46 PM September 23, 2019

Updated: 8:47 PM September 23, 2019

HEADED TO UN. In this file photo, President Hassan Rouhani addresses the United Nations General Assembly at the UN headquarters on September 22. File photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images/AFP

TEHRAN, Iran – President Hassan Rouhani set off for New York on Monday, September 23, to attend the UN General Assembly on a mission to win Iran support against "cruel" pressure from archfoe the United States.

His departure came as Iran said an oil tanker flying the flag of US ally Britain was "free" to leave more than two months after seizing it in sensitive Gulf waters.

Speaking before flying out, Rouhani said his delegation was heading to the UN gathering despite reluctance from President Donald Trump's administration to issue them visas.

Tehran and Washington have been at loggerheads since May last year when Trump abandoned a 2015 nuclear deal and subsequently began reimposing sanctions on Iran in a stated campaign of "maximum pressure."

"When the Americans aren't willing (to let Iran participate), we must insist on traveling," Rouhani said.

"It is essential for us to take part in the UN General Assembly and talk at various levels," he told reporters at Tehran's Mehrabad airport.

"The cruel actions that have been taken against the Iranian nation and also the difficult and complicated issues that our region faces with them need to be explained."

Tensions have flared in the Gulf since May this year when Iran began reducing its commitments under the nuclear deal and the US deployed military assets to the region.

The US has since formed a coalition with its allies Britain, Australia, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to escort commercial ships, in response to a spate of incidents in the Gulf.

Saudi escalation

The tensions escalated further after devastating September 14 attacks on Saudi oil installations that Washington and Riyadh have, to varying degrees, blamed on Tehran.

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson said his government was drawing a similar conclusion to its allies.

"The UK is attributing responsibility with a very high degree of probability to Iran" for the Saudi attacks, he said, quoted by the UK's Press Association news agency.

Johnson was himself en-route to New York, where he was scheduled to meet with Iran's president.

Long-fraught relations between London and Tehran were further soured after Iran seized the British-flagged Stena Impero on July 19 for allegedly breaking "international maritime laws."

Iran's government spokesman Ali Rabiei said Monday the tanker was "free" to leave after the completion of legal proceedings, without specifying when it might set sail.

The announcement comes after a court in British overseas territory Gibraltar ordered the release of an Iranian oil tanker in mid-August despite an 11th-hour US legal bid to keep it in detention.

Before leaving for New York, Rouhani said Iran would put forward a Gulf peace plan at the UN meeting.

Under the plan dubbed the Hormuz Peace Endeavor, or HOPE, he said, "all the coastal states of the Persian Gulf are invited to join this coalition to provide and maintain regional security."

Rouhani said the Americans were "at the root" of conflicts in the region and their motive for blaming Iran was to deploy forces in the Gulf and have access to its oil.

"It is clear that they want to own all of the oil that is in the east of Saudi Arabia.

"It is clear that the US has other goals and such incidents are their pretext to be more present in the region."

Rouhani-Trump meeting unlikely

Since pulling out of the nuclear deal, Washington has slapped sanctions on Tehran's armed forces, financial sector and top officials including supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.

Iran has responded by scaling back its commitments under the 2015 deal with world powers that gave it the promise of sanctions relief in return for limiting the scope of its nuclear program.

The US has said it would make its case against Iran at the General Assembly.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US wanted to give diplomacy "every opportunity to succeed" in the wake of the attacks that set aflame Abqaiq plant and the Khurais oil field in eastern Saudi Arabia.

Following the attacks, the US announced further sanctions on Iran's central bank.

That may have dealt a final blow to hopes of a meeting between Rouhani and Trump during the UN gathering.

On Monday, Iran reiterated its conditions for talks with the US.

"If the US is ready to end sanctions and come back to the conditions of the nuclear agreement, the way would be open for us to make a decision," government spokesman Rabiei said.

"One of these decisions could be negotiations."

"There is no conflict of opinion inside the country on this subject," he said. – Rappler.com